Monday, September 5, 2011

Hello World

How does one start a blog post? Let's go with "Hi all".

I am currently breaking my own cardinal rule, which is "only write when you have something to say", but I felt that it would be odd to send people a link to a site with nothing written on it, so I decided to write a post. I'll sum a few things up.

I'm Alison and I'm writing this blog about my upcoming gap year experience. On Wednesday a group of fellow students and I will head off to spend eight months doing a program with the nonprofit Thinking Beyond Borders. It is a fantastic trip involving several different countries, the four core nations being Ecuador, China, India, and South Africa. In each location, we will live in homestays, do a community service project, and learn about development issues faced by the community we are living in. You can learn more information at the link above.

I have done some traveling with my family, but never anything like this (I've never even been to South America, Asia, or Africa), so needless to say I am both nervous and excited.

My goals with this blog are to both create a record of my trip and to keep in touch with my friends and family back home. I'm hoping that the process of writing will make me feel connected to the people I miss and also be something for me to reread after the trip is over. Posts will likely be a mixture of daily life description (pictures of where I am and what I am doing, etc) as well any interesting thoughts I have (seeing so many different cultures should inspire at least a few).

When you hear from me next, I will probably be posting from Costa Rica, where the other kids in the program and I will be having our orientation (oh yeah...).

Farewell till then,
Alison






7 comments:

  1. Hi Alison! I think you should have started the programming way, with Hello World!
    When do you leave?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a fan-fricking-tastic time! (See what I did there, with the expletive infixation?) Can't wait to hear all about your many adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I abso-frakking-lutely will, Lukas. :) And your CD should be in the mail by tomorrow.
    Eric, I leave on Wednesday morning! I forget the exact time... Hope CM is treating you well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I super duper love the name of your blog. So clever! Good luck on your world adventures! (oh wait, I'll be there too) ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Michele! The title is actually from a Hindi song, I should show it to you when we meet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ALISON! I am super excited. Can't wait to read all about your fabulous adventures. Take TONS AND TONS OF PICTURES, okay? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for doing this Alison. I look forward to following your adventures - and to reading your great writing!

    ReplyDelete